Monday, May 24, 2010

Faster you SHOULD RUN--into Janelle's arms.



Okay I'm not blabbing about clothes today. And because I've listened to Janelle Monae's album non-stop since it came out, I figured I'd do a review.

This is my personal review of the MAY 18th release of
Janelle Monae's album: The ArchAndroid.

Now her previous album, Metropolis: The Chase Suite, didn't feel as much like a soundtrack as this one. What I liked most about this album is it's connectivity and the way each song rolls into the next, and helps convey the love story between her fictitious character, Cindi Mayweather (the android Monae portrays herself as on the cover of Metropolis), and her human love interest.

As with ANY album, you're not going to love every song immensely. This album has tracks that can make you cry, dance, laugh, and some of them you'll just be like what the ef? Overall, if you appreciate true artistry--I would suggest it as a great purchase.

Monae invites you in to her world with the cool melody of Dance or Die this track is dope--definitely. I love the line: "Protect the mind from degradation//sew in the seeds of education."

The energetic "Faster," is my favorite! She says, "Faster, Faster I should run// Faster, Faster from your arms" in the chorus. My fave line is: "We've been like magnets in our play//we smash and then pull away, everyday." This song is so relatable to any girl whose ever had a seemingly unattainable crush.


The stoner Jam (in my opinion) "Mushrooms and Roses" is pretty captivating.


The jazz tune "BaBopByeYa," makes me want to throw on my character shoes and break out in a dance number--loves it.


"Tightrope" is awesome, super groovy. Feat. Big Boy too. ::big ups::


"57821" is a dreamy love song; her harmonious sounds with
Deep Cotton are relaxing.

"Coldwar" is teeming with political innuendos. My fave line: If you wanna be free// below the grounds the only place to be// cause in this life//you spend time runnin from depravity.


"Sir Greendown" is kind of a stoner track too. Dedicated to Cindi's human infatuation: Anthony Greendown.


LOVED "Neon Valley Street" it starts slow, but--she raps!!



WEIRD TRACKS:

NEON GUMBO- completely eerie and creepy. but strangely intriguing.

MAKE THE BUS (Feat. of Montreal)- sheer ANNOYANCE. ugh.

WONDALAND- maybe Christmas time or something. maybe.


bottom line: IF YOU LOVE MUSIC AND UNIQUENESS: COP IT!

IF YOU DON'T, STAY LAME! jp.

XOX,

Denia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails